- Throw an Engagement Party if you wish to inform friends and family you are now engaged!!
- If your partner hasn’t done so already, buy your Engagement ring; bear in mind the style of your Wedding and Eternity rings.
- Make a note of the things most important to you and set a budget; always leaving aside emergency funds.
- Decide whether you want to get married soon or a little later, and set a date; bear in mind your wedding and/or honeymoon destination as the weather may not be ideal at the time of your trip.
- Once you have set the date, send out Save the Date cards/e-cards; this will ensure your guests are not out of town on your special day and guests living abroad can plan their trips accordingly.
Important: Ensure you book in your date and time with the Gibraltar Marriage registry, the location can be determined a little later. Note you will need to arrange an appointment at a later date to sign the affidavits.
- Start researching on weddings ie legal paperwork, venues, themes, colour palettes, suppliers and create a file of your favourite things and keep your contacts saved separately for when you need them; this will help you flow to the type of wedding you want and help you visualise your wedding. Do ask suppliers what packages they offer as you may be able to cut on costs.
- Pick your wedding party being Maid of Honour, Bridesmaids & Flower girls, Best man & Ushers.
- Start a guest list on a spreadsheet or a file if preferred to use throughout your planning for invitations, reception, seating, favours etc – a rough head count can also help you determine your budget.
9. To avoid disappointment, book your suppliers as early as possible and check what deposits they need and when they need them:
- Florist & Decoration
- Hairdresser, Make-up & Nail artist
- Invitation designers, Calligraphist and/or Wedding Websites
- Jewellers, you may want a message engraved on your rings.
- Wedding Cake Artist
- Travel Agents for Honeymoon Flights and Accommodation
10. Purchase your dress and once you have had your first fitting you can look for the accessories to suit:
11. Once you have your dress and accessories sorted you can book a hair and make-up trial if required (recommended)
12. A fitness regime and a balanced diet will ensure you look your best for your big day, so start cutting down on those nasty habits
13. Odds and Sods:
- Gifts for your other half and for the Wedding party
- Music playlist
- Flower basket and/or Ring Cushion
- Pen for signing Marriage Register
- Guest Book and Pen
- Wishing well
- Finalise RSVPS, menus, favours, seating plans, place cards, wedding day timeline
- Enjoy a Hen night and pack for your Honeymoon!